What to do
- Make the Pistachio Butter: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spread the pistachios in a single layer on a sheet pan. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes, aroma should be toasty and nutty. Add the pistachios to a food processor and with the motor running, pour in the water, vinegar, salt, and olive oil and process until smooth. Taste to adjust for seasoning. Pistachio butter can be stored in airtight container for up to 10 days.
- Make the slaw: Stir together garlic, white wine vinegar, and raisins in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Grate the apples, carrots, and watermelon radish on large holes of a box grater or cut into fine julienne, matchstick style. Slice and cut the beets into a fine julienne. Discard the garlic from the vinegar raisins and add the finely julienned mix to the large mixing bowl with raisins. Add the lemon juice, most of the parsley and mint, chili flakes, and season generously with salt and black pepper.
- Drizzle over some of the extra virgin olive oil and toss gently to coat. The mixture should be sweet, tart, peppery, and earthy. Adjust the seasoning again, if necessary.
- Serve: Spread a layer of pistachio butter onto each plate or within one large serving dish and top with the slaw. Garnish with the remaining herbs and finish with a drizzle of olive oil. Enjoy immediately. Best served day of.
**The key to this recipe is that the juices from the slaw catch the pistachio butter underneath and combine together to make a nutty, crazy good vinaigrette.
What you’ll Need
1 cup shelled pistachios
1/3 cup water
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
½ tsp sea salt
1½ tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, smashed and peeled
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
½ cup golden raisins
2 large honeycrisp apples
2 large carrots
1 large watermelon radish
2 (6.5oz) packages Love Beets Organic Mild Vinegar Beets
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
½ cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
¼ cup mint leaves, chopped (optional)
½ tsp chili pepper flakes
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1-2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil