What to do
- Fill a pot of water so that the eggs will be covered by 1 inch. Bring the water to a boil, add the eggs, cover, remove from heat, and continue to cook in the hot water for 11 minutes.
- Drain and run the eggs under cold water until cool.
- Peel the eggs carefully under cold running water and set aside. Once eggs are hard-boiled, they will last up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
- To stain the eggs, combine the beet puree, vinegar, water, and salt in a medium saucepan and heat over medium until hot, remove brine from heat.
- Add the brine and peeled eggs to a bowl or container and chill at least 8 hours and up to 2 days.
- Remove eggs from brine, rinse, and set aside.
- Slice the eggs lengthwise, and gently remove the yolks.
- Place the yolks into a medium bowl for the filling. Mix the mayonnaise, mustard, relish, jalapeño,salt, 3 tablespoons of chives, and 2 dashes of hot sauce in with the bowl of egg yolks.
- Gently mash the yolks into the mixture until smooth.
- To serve, fill a pastry bag or plastic bag fitted with a pastry tip and pipe the filling into the egg halves, or simply use two forks to fill the eggs with the mixture.
- Top the eggs with pepper, fresh chives, and cilantro.
*Fill just before serving. These will keep well, tightly wrapped or in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
What you’ll Need
16 large eggs
1 8 oz. package Love Beets, pureed in a blender or food processor
½ cup distilled white vinegar
2½ cups water
1 tbsp kosher salt
½ cup mayonnaise
2 tsp yellow mustard
2 tbsp pickle relish, finely chopped
1 jalapeño, finely chopped
½ tsp salt
¼ cup chives, finely chopped
2 dashes hot sauce
Freshly ground black pepper
Handful of fresh cilantro leaves