What to do
Major thank you to ZenBelly for this healthy, bright holiday appetizer!
- Cut off the cores of the endives and separate the leaves.
- Spread about a teaspoon of goat cheese or cashew cheese (recipe below) on each leaf.
- Top with beets, orange, and additional accoutrements as wanted!
- After the cashews have soaked, drain them and place in a food processor.
- Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides a few times. Add a small amount of water, if necessary to get a smooth consistency. (If not culturing your cheese, skip to step 4).
- Dissolve the probiotics in a tablespoon of warm water and mix into the cashew mixture. Add more water if necessary to get a smooth consistency.
- Line a fine mesh strainer with a cheesecloth and scrape the cashew mixture into it. Wrap the cheesecloth around it and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Allow to culture at room temperature for at least 12 (and up to 18) hours. It will get more tart the longer you leave it.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in the lemon juice, salt, and cream of tartar. Store refrigerated in a glass jar up to one week.
What you’ll Need
4 heads endive or oblong radicchio
8 ounces goat cheese or cashew cheese
1 package Love Beets Organic Cooked Beets
4 oranges, pith removed and diced small
Optional: shaved fennel, fennel fronds, fresh dill, toasted almonds or walnuts or pistachios)
2 cups raw cashews, soaked in cold water for at least 8 hours
20 billion organisms probiotics (1/2 teaspoon)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cream or tartar
1 tablespoon water