What to do
- Heat the oil in a cast iron skillet over medium- high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper and garlic and continue cooking, stirring occasionally until bell pepper has softened and begins turning golden-brown, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, paprika, cumin, sea salt, harissa, and chopped beets. Stir well and bring to a full but gentle boil.
- Add the swiss chard and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Dig a small well into the shakshuka and carefully crack an egg into it. Repeat for the remaining eggs. Continue cooking at a gentle boil until eggs have set up, about 10 to 15 minutes. If your eggs are taking a long time to cook, you can cover the skillet with a lid to speed up the process.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve with toasted bread.
What you’ll Need
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ small yellow onion, finely chopped
1 orange bell pepper, cored and diced (or color of choice)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons ground cumin
½ teaspoon sea salt, to taste
3 tablespoons harissa
1 (8.8-ounce) package Love Beets cooked beets, chopped
1 small head Swiss chard, chopped
4 to 6 eggs
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped