What to do
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a skull baking pan with cooking oil spray.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder into a large bowl and set aside. (If using cup measures, spoon flour into the cups and level with a knife before sifting).
- Combine butter, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla extract in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on low speed to moisten, and then increase to medium and cream until fluffy and light, about 5 minutes, pausing to scrape the bowl and beater halfway through. With the mixer running, add the eggs one at a time, mixing until each is fully incorporated before adding the next. Reduce speed to low and mix in the beet puree and beet powder until batter is tinted bright with beets. With mixer on low, sprinkle in half of the flour/cocoa mixture, followed by half of the wine, alternating between the two. Turn off mixer and fold the batter with a flexible spatula to ensure it’s well mixed from the bottom up. Divide the batter among the prepared skull cake pan, filling slightly over ¾ of the way up.
- Bake until the cakes are domed and firm when gently pressed, about 25 minutes. Cool entirely, until no trace of warmth remains, or place in the refrigerator to fully cool. (This will help in releasing cakes from pans as well.)
- While cakes are cooling, use a handheld mixer to beat the cream cheese, confectioner’s sugar, and salt together in a bowl until smooth. Use immediately, or set aside at room temperature for a few hours until needed. When ready to use, pour into piping bag fit with a small tip or use a small squeeze bottle fit with a small piping tip.
- Loosen the cakes from their pans with a knife and invert onto a wire rack. Frost the cakes with the cream cheese icing by creating skull-like designs onto each cake. Transfer to a festive serving plate or board and enjoy!
**Cakes keep well covered in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
What you’ll Need
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup cocoa powder
31/2 sticks salted butter, soft but cool
2 cups gently packed light brown sugar
2 ¼ tsp baking soda
1 tsp sea salt
½ tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
6 large eggs
1 (8.8oz) package Love Beets Organic Cooked Beets, pureed (about 1 cup)
¼ cup Love Beets Beet Powder
1 cup red or white wine
1 8oz. package cream cheese, room temperature
1½ cups confectioner’s sugar
¼ tsp sea salt