What to do
Make the Cakes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Slice the beets and reserve 2 tsp of the beet juice in a small prep bowl.
- Grind the beets along with the remaining beet liquid in a food processor, making sure to reserve 2 tsp in a small prep bowl for the almond paste beet tops. Pulse until a coarse and cohesive puree forms and set aside.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl.
- In a large bowl set over a saucepot of barely simmering water, melt the chocolate, coconut oil, and coffee and stir until the coconut oil has dissolved. Remove the bowl from the heat and let it sit for a few minutes to cool.
- Add the beet puree and eggs and briskly mix to combine. Stir in the sugar and fold in the flour mixture.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared cupcake pan and bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or just until the sides are set but the center is still just barely wobbly. Let the cakes cool completely before adding the frosting.
Make the Frosting
- In a medium bowl set over a saucepot of simmering water, melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil until combined. Remove from the heat and stir in the almond milk.
- Let the frosting chill in the refrigerator until lightly solidified, about 15 minutes. The frosting should be thick enough to pipe.
- Meanwhile, return to the small bowl of beet juice and mix in the beet powder to form a quick paste. Add the almond paste and knead lightly until the dough is dyed red.
- Shape the dough into little balls to form into mini beetroots. Add a beet greens leaf to the center of each beet and set aside until ready to decorate.
- Once cool, transfer the frosting to a piping bag fitted with a pastry tip or plastic bag snipped from the corner. Working with one cupcake at a time, pipe the frosting starting on the outside edge of the cupcake and then work your way around, spiraling toward the center.
- To serve, frost the cakes, sprinkle with crushed Oreo cookies, and top with an almond paste beet.
*These will keep nicely, in an airtight container at room temperature, for up to 3 days.
What you’ll Need
1-8 oz. package Love Beets steamed cooked beets, reserving 2 tsp of beet juice
1 cup all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour
5 tbsp cocoa powder
1½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
½ cup coconut oil
¼ cup hot espresso or strong brewed coffee
1 cup granulated cane sugar
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
¼ cup coconut oil
¼ cup almond milk
3/4 cup Oreo cookies, crushed
Almond Paste Baby Beets
2 tsp reserved beet juice (from above)
1½ tsp Love Beets beet powder
½ cup almond paste
1 handful of beet greens from 1 bunch of fresh beets