What to do
Make the Dough
- In a bowl, combine the warm milk, eggs, and honey. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle, mix the flour, beet powder, yeast, and salt. Add in the egg mixture and mix on low to combine. With the mixer on low, add the butter one piece at a time. When all the butter has been added, increase the speed to medium and beat the butter into the dough until incorporated, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a large greased bowl; the dough will be a little sticky. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 30 minutes. Place your hands underneath the dough and fold it over onto itself, turn the bowl and repeat the folds by at least 6 more times until the dough is in one large mound and flipped on the reverse side. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap again and let rise for 30 minutes. Repeat the folding technique every 30 minutes for a total rise time of 2 hours. If not using right away, cover the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Make the Rolls
- Combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl and set aside
- Line a 12-by-16-inch baking dish with parchment paper. Transfer the dough to a large floured work surface and roll out to a 25-by-25 square.
- Brush the dough with the melted butter and evenly coat the dough with the cinnamon sugar mixture. Starting on either side, roll the dough into a tight cylinder and use scissors to cut the dough into 12 equal rolls. Transfer the rolls to the prepared pan, cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350F and remove the plastic wrap. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through, until the rolls are puffed and golden.
Make the Frosting and Serve
- Add the cream cheese and butter to a medium bowl and whip with an electric hand mixer on medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. Add in the vanilla, salt, confectioner’s sugar, orange zest (if using), and orange juice and mix on low until the icing is light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- Pull the buns from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Using a spoon or offset spatula, apply a generous layer of the frosting. Let the rolls cool for 5 to 10 minutes more and serve warm.
What you’ll Need
Dough + Filling
1 cup + 2 tablespoons milk, warm (100-115F)
6 large eggs, room temperature
6 tablespoons honey
6 cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup Love Beets Beet Powder
3¼ teaspoons instant yeast (About 1½ packets)
1 tablespoon salt
14 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature (1¾ sticks, cut into 1-inch pieces)
2 cups packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 pinch salt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup confectioner’s sugar
Zest of 1 orange, (optional)
3 tablespoons orange juice