What to do
Roast the asparagus:
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and line a small baking sheet with parchment paper. Add the asparagus to the baking sheet, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 10 to 13 minutes until bright green and just barely tender.
- Transfer to a cutting board to chop into 1½-inch lengths, add to a large serving or mixing bowl, and set aside.
Cook the Farro:
- Place the farro in a large saucepan with 5 cups water over medium high heat. Bring to a boil and drop down to a simmer for 15 to 20 minutes and cook until slightly tender but still chewy. There will be some water leftover.
- Drain, rinse with cold water and return to the saucepan with some oil to toast. Season with a pinch of salt and cook for 5 minutes, stirring, until fragrant and lightly toasted. Remove from heat, let cool, and set aside.
Wilt the Chard
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 1 tbsp of the oil. Drop in the chard and toss gently to coat in oil. Cook for only 1 to 2 minutes until just barely cooked. The idea here is to keep the greens texture still chewy and color bright green by just barely wilting them. Add the chard to the serving dish and gently toss to combine.
Make the Dressing:
- In a blender, blend everything together except for the oil until smooth. With the blender running on low, slowly stream in the oil until a creamy. Pour into a glass jar and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Serve the Salad:
- Add the golden beets, red onion, apple, cheese, dates, and almonds to the serving bowl. Pour over most of the dressing and gently toss to combine. Just before serving, season with salt and pepper and drizzle over more of the dressing, if desired. Serve immediately or best enjoyed within two days.
What you’ll Need
2 tbsp olive oil
1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed
1½ cups dry farro
1 bunch rainbow chard, stemmed and thinly sliced
1 (6.5 oz) package Love Beets Golden Beets
¼ cup red onion, diced small
1 small honey crisp apple, diced small
4 ounces white cheddar cheese, diced small
3 dates, pitted and chopped
¼ cup salted Marcona almonds
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
Meyer Lemon Dressing
2 Meyer lemons, zested + ¼ cup juice
1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar, or vinegar of your choice
1 small shallot
1 small garlic clove
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp honey
¼ tsp kosher salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
½ cup olive oil