What to do
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (fitted with dough attachment), whisk together flour, xanthan gum and salt. Make a small well, then add eggs and beet juice.
- Turn mixer on low speed and mix until dough starts to come together. You may need to scrape down the sides once or twice to make sure all flour is incorporated.
- Just before it comes together, remove from bowl and transfer to parchment paper dusted with a very small amount of flour. Knead dough until it forms a ball. You shouldn’t need to add more flour unless it’s very sticky. In that case, add small amounts at a time so it doesn’t get too dry.
- Attach flat pasta attachment to stand mixer. Divide dough into 5-6 pieces and run each piece through the pasta maker. The first few times through, it may crumble a bit, but continue running it through a few more times (folding in thirds after each time) and it will form a sheet.
- Attach fettuccine pasta attachment to stand mixer and run flat pasta sheet through to make noodles. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bring water to a boil with a generous amount of salt. Boil pasta for 4-5 minutes, then drain and toss in sauce.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic and sauté, stirring frequently, for about 5-7 minutes. Add in wine, lemon juice, lemon zest, and parsley. Cook over medium heat for another 5-7 minutes, until about half of wine is reduced.
- When pasta is ready, add pasta directly to pan with sauce and use tongs to coat.
- Top with fresh peas, shaved asparagus, lemon zest, parsley and grated parmesan (optional).
What you’ll Need
2 cups gluten free all purpose flour + more for dusting (note: scoop into measuring cup using spoon – don’t pack it in)
2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp salt
2 room temperature eggs + 1 egg yolk
5 ½ tbsp Love Beets Organic Beet Juice
6 tbsp vegan (or regular) butter
1/3 cup dry white wine
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest
⅓ cup shallots, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
For topping: shaved asparagus, peas, lemon zest, parsley and grated parmesan (optional)