What to do
- Toast pine nuts in a dry pan over medium heat until golden. Remove frompan and set aside
- Add 1 tablespoon oil and shallots to pan, cooking over medium heat until lightly caramelized, about 5 minutes.
- Add kale to pan with shallots and continue cooking until kale is gently wilted, but still vibrant, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Grease 13×9” baking dish well with 1 tablespoon oil.
- Mix together cubed bread, Love Beets, pine nuts, shallot-kale mixture, 1 cup mozzarella and ½ cup goat cheese in dish.
- Whisk together milk, eggs, mustard, thyme, salt and pepper until well combined.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread mixture in pan and top with remaining cheeses (½ cup mozzarella and ¼ cup goat cheese).
- Let the strata soak for 30 minutes while you preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cover your strata with foil and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove the foil from your strata and continue baking until egg custard is set, 40-45 minutes, until the center doesn’t jiggle when shaken and cheese on top is melty.
- Let cool 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
What you’ll Need
2 tablespoons avocado oil
½ cup pine nuts, toasted
2 shallots, chopped
6 leaves kale, destemmed and chopped
8 cups cubed bread, we used challah
1 pack Love Beets Organic Cooked Beets, chopped
1 ½ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
¾ cup goat cheese, crumbled
4 cups milk, we used unsweetened plain almond milk
12 large eggs
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
1 teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper