What to do
- Let’s crisp up those chickpeas. Preheat oven to 400F. Dry chickpeas thoroughly between paper towels. Don’t worry if the skins start to fall off—they’ll get crispy in the oven. Spread onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil onto chickpeas and sprinkle with a few generous pinches of salt. Spread them out on the pan as best as you can.
- Roast 20 minutes, stirring and rotating pan halfway through. Chickpeas are ready when they’re golden brown and crispy. Transfer hot chickpeas to a bowl and toss with Za’atar and a few generous cracks of ground pepper. You will have extra leftover for snacking.
- To prepare avocados, slice in half and discard the pits. Run a lemon wedge along to cut face to prevent browning. Scoop out the center of the avocado, where the pit was, to make a deeper cavity for all that good filling.
- In a medium bowl, toss beets, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, red onion, olives, mint and lemon juice and zest. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Let the flavors meld together while you grill avocados.
- Heat a cast-iron grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush the cut faces of each avocado half with olive oil. Place avocados cut-side down and cook until you see grill marks, 3-5 minutes.
- Stuff each avocado half with prepared filling, making sure to pack it in well. Top each with crispy chickpeas, a drizzle of tahini and feta, if using.
What you’ll Need
Crispy Spiced Chickpeas
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon Za’atar
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 large avocados
- Olive oil
- 1/2 cup Love Beets Organic Cooked Beets, finely diced
- ¼ cup cucumber, finely diced
- ¼ cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- ¼ cup red onion, finely diced
- ¼ cup black olives, sliced
- About 12 fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2-3 tablespoons tahini, for drizzling
- ¼ cup feta, crumbled (omit for Vegan/dairy-free)