What to do
Make the Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350F and spray a 12-cup cupcake pan with cooking oil spray or line with paper liners.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl
- In a blender combine the beets, beet powder, milk, butter, green onions, and herbs and blend on medium speed until smooth. Drop in the egg and blend until just incorporated.
- Transfer the beet mixture to a large mixing bowl and fold in the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Using an ice cream scoop, fill the cupcake pan with the batter almost all the way to the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until the cupcakes spring back to the touch and when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool completely, at least 1 hour before adding the frosting.
Make the Frosting
- Using a handheld mixer, whisk the goat and mascarpone cheese together until smooth. Loosen with a tablespoon of milk at a time if needed. Fold in the chopped herbs and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- To serve, transfer the frosting to a piping bag fitted with a pastry tip or sealable plastic bag snipped from the corner. Pipe the frosting starting on the outside edge of the cupcake, working your way around, spiraling toward the center. Top with a few rosemary sprigs and enjoy!
*These will keep nicely, in an air-tight container in the refrigerator, for up to 3 days.
What you’ll Need
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
2 large or 3 small, Love Beets steamed cooked organic beets
2 tbsp Love Beets Beet Powder
½ cup milk
3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
2 green onions, chopped
¼ cup mixed chopped herbs of your choice, such as sage, rosemary, and thyme
1 large egg
6 oz. mascarpone cheese
6 oz. goat cheese
1 to 2 tbsp milk
2 tsp chopped rosemary
2 tbsp chopped dill
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper