What to do
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Roll out the pastry and use it to line a 23cm loose bottomed pie tin. Line with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans. Bake blind for 20 minutes.
- Whilst the pastry is baking, prepare the filling by pureeing the beets along with the eggs in a food processor.
- In a small saucepan, add the sugar, all the spices and cream and slowly bring up to a simmering point. Pour into the food processor and mix thoroughly with the beet puree.
- Remove the pastry case from the oven and reduce the temperature to 350°F.
- Pour the filling carefully into the pastry case and bake for around 25-30 minutes. The edge should be puffed up a little and the center will still be a touch soft. Allow to cool and chill in the fridge. Serve with creme fraiche.
What you’ll Need
250g pastry crust
325g cooked beets, drained
75g soft brown sugar
2tsp ground mixed spice
1/2 tsp ground allspice (optional)
1/2 tsp ground ginger (optional)
250ml double cream