What to do
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Roll out the pastry and use it to line a 23cm loose bottomed pie tin. Line with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans. Bake blind for 20 minutes.
- Whilst the pastry is baking, prepare the filling by pureeing the beets along with the eggs in a food processor.
- In a small saucepan, add the sugar, all the spices and cream and slowly bring up to a simmering point. Pour into the food processor and mix thoroughly with the beet puree.
- Remove the pastry case from the oven and reduce the temperature to 350°F.
- Pour the filling carefully into the pastry case and bake for around 25-30 minutes. The edge should be puffed up a little and the center will still be a touch soft. Allow to cool and chill in the fridge. Serve with creme fraiche.
What you’ll Need
250g pastry crust
325g cooked beets, drained
75g soft brown sugar
2 tsp ground mixed spice
1/2 tsp ground allspice (optional)
1/2 tsp ground ginger (optional)
250ml double cream