What to do
Make the Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- Sift together the spelt flour, almond flour, sugar, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl.
- In a blender, combine the pitted dates, beet powder, coconut oil, milk, and vanilla and blend on high speed until smooth. Drop in the egg and blend until incorporated.
- Transfer the beet mixture to a large mixing bowl and fold in the dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated.
- Fold in a ½ cup of the pomegranate seeds.
- Using an ice cream scoop, fill the prepared muffin cups with the batter almost all the way to the top.
- Top each muffin with a sprinkling of pomegranate seeds and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the muffins are golden brown and just barely spring back to touch. Be careful to not overbake. Let the muffins cool completely, at least one hour before adding the icing.
Make the Icing
- In a small bowl, add the coconut cream, honey, and vanilla. Whip the cream with a whisk or hand mixer until light and fluffy and use immediately to dollop onto cooled muffins. Top each iced muffin with a few pomegranate arils and enjoy!
*These keep well, covered, in an airtight container for up to 2 days, or in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
What you’ll Need
2 cups whole-grain spelt flour
¾ cup finely ground almond flour
6 tbsp coconut sugar
1 tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp cardamom
¼ tsp nutmeg
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp kosher salt
¾ cup large medjool dates, (about 9 pitted dates)
½ cup Love Beets Beet Powder
½ cup coconut oil
1½ cups milk, of your choice
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups pomegranate arils
1-15 oz. can coconut cream, refrigerated until solid
1 tsp honey
1 seeded vanilla bean or 1 tsp vanilla extract