What to do
- Add of the ingredients for the pickled vegetables to a jar and add a small amount of water. Stir, seal, and refrigerate for at least one hour and up to ten days.
- Drain the tofu by placing a folded paper down on top of the whole cube (on a cutting board!), and weighing it down with a cast iron pan. Allow to drain for 20 minutes and then slice into 3/4-inch cubes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, garlic, ginger, liquid animos/soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, and cumin.
- Heat a large skillet over a medium-high flame and add the soy-ginger mixture, cooking for one minute, or until the garlic and ginger are fragrant and the sauce begins to bubble. Place the sliced tofu on the skillet and cook until seared and caramelized, about 1-3 minutes.
- Carefully flip and cook on the other side until caramelized, about another 2 minutes.
- To make the Bahn Mi sandwiches, slice the beets and toast the bread.
- Spread desired amount of mayo over the toasted bread, and add sliced beets, cooked tofu, and pickled veggies.
- Serve with fresh cilantro and a drizzle of red chili sauce.
What you’ll Need
1 bunch radishes, thinly sliced
1 large carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
1/2 medium-sized cucumber, halved, de-seeded, and cut into matchsticks
1 jalapeño, seeded and cut into match sticks
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon cane sugar
Pinch sea salt
1 (14-ouce) package of extra firm tofu
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, peeled and grated
2 tablespoons liquid animos or low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 baguette, halved lengthwise and cut into 4″-6″ pieces
1 (8.8-ounce) package Love Beets Organic Cooked Beets, sliced
Mayonnaise or vegan-aise
Red chili sauce