What to do
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the coconut oil, butter, sugar, beet powder, vanilla powder, vanilla and almond extracts, and salt.
- Mix on low to ensure the beet powder folds into the wet mixture and then turn up the speed to medium until fluffy and smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs and continue mixing until just incorporated, about 1 minute.
- Reduce the speed to low, add the baking soda and baking powder and mix for 1 minute.
- Add the flour and mix until the dough starts to form a mound around the paddle.
- Use a spatula to gather up all of the remaining bits of dough from the bottom and sides of the bowl and divide the dough in half.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to a ½-inch thick. Using heart shaped cookie cutters, cut out the cookies. The scraps of dough can be re-rolled out an infinite amount of times until all the cookies are cut. Gently slide a metal spatula underneath each cut-out and transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes for soft cookies and 13 minutes for firm and lightly crispy cookies.Let cool before icing.
- Keep the cookies on the baking sheet and set aside. In a medium bowl whisk to combine the beet powder, beet and lemon juices, almond extract, salt, brown rice syrup, and confectioners sugar until smooth. Adjust with more confectioners sugar if the consistency is too thin.
- Transfer mixture to a piping bag or zipper-lock bag and close to seal. Glaze or pipe the icing over the cookies. If decorating with sprinkles, sprinkle while the icing is still wet.
- Let the cookies set before removing from the pan. (unless, of course, you need to eat a cookie right away)
*These cookies will keep covered in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
What you’ll Need
1 cup coconut oil, room temperature, soft but not liquid
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2¼ cups granulated organic cane sugar
¼ cup Love Beets beetroot powder
½ tsp vanilla bean powder (optional)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
2½ tsp kosher salt
2 large eggs, cold, straight from the fridge
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 tbsp Love Beets beetroot powder
2 tbsp Love Beets beet juice (optional)
¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tsp almond extract
¼ tsp kosher salt
½ tsp brown rice syrup (optional) – this will help keep the icing shiny
2 cups organic powdered sugar