What to do
- Combine the gelatin, 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon of cold water, and beet juice to a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Stir, and allow gelatin mixture to sit while you make the syrup.
Add the sugar, corn syrup, sea salt, and 1/2 cup water to a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the sugar dissolves and mixture reaches 230-240°F.
- Turn the mixer on low speed, and slowly pour the hot syrup into the dissolved gelatin. Increase the mixer speed to high and allow it to whisk until the mixture is very thick, pale pink, and stringy (about fifteen minutes).
- Add the vanilla and mix until combined. If a darker pink-red color is desired, add more beet juice while whisking on high in one-tablespoon increments.
- Line an 8″ by 12″ ceramic or porcelain baking dish with parchment paper and dust with confectioners’ sugar. Pour the marshmallow mixture into the pan and use a rubber spatula to smooth into an even layer. Let the marshmallows sit uncovered overnight.
- Pull the parchment paper to remove the marshmallows from the dish, and place on a cutting board. Use a sharp knife to cut the marshmallow brick into desired sized squares.
- Dust the marshmallows with confectioners’ sugar. Enjoy in hot chocolate, coffee, and/or s’mores!
What you’ll Need
3 (1-ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon cold water
3+ tablespoons Love Beets Organic Beet Juice
1 1/2 cups granulated cane sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Confectioner’s sugar for dusting