What to do
- Drain tofu and pat dry. Wrap in a clean towel or paper towel and set something heavy on top, like a cast iron skillet or a few cookbooks. Press for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375˚F and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Using a very sharp knife, slice a block of tofu in half lengthwise. Then, turn each block on its side and slice into thin planks.
- In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, maple syrup, oil, liquid smoke, apple cider vinegar, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Brush each side of the tofu generously with the marinade, and bake for 18 minutes, brushing on more marinade every 5-7 minutes.
- After 18 minutes, carefully use tongs to flip each piece of tofu bacon over. Brush on more marinade, then bake for another 18 minutes, applying more marinade every 5-7 minutes.
- After 18 minutes, flip once more and brush with any remaining marinade. Cook for additional 5 minutes, or until the bacon is crispy and browned. It might not look totally finished, but once it cools, it starts to harden up and get chewy/crispy. Don’t over-bake, otherwise it will start to burn.
- Spread hummus on one slice of bread, top with tofu bacon, pickled beets, avocado slices, microgreens and other slice of bread. Enjoy!
What you’ll Need
4 slices bread of choice
Love Beets Perfectly Pickled beets
¼ cup hummus
1 ripe avocado
½ cup microgreens
14 oz extra firm tofu
1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce (or tamari)
3 tbsp maple syrup
3 tbsp neutral high heat oil (vegetable, peanut, safflower, etc)
4 tsp liquid smoke
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt