What to do
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 12-hole muffin tray with muffin liners.
- In a blender, combine half & half with chopped beets and blend until completely smooth. Set aside until ready to use.
- Add butter to a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and blend until creamed. Beat in sugar and continue mixing for about 1 minute, when the butter/sugar looks fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract and eggs one at a time, and beat just until incorporated. Remove the mixing bowl from stand mixer.
- In a separate mixing bowl, stir together the all purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until very well combined.
- Pour 1/3 of the flour mixture into the mixing bowl with the butter/sugar and use a rubber spatula to fold into the batter. Pour 1/3 of the half & half / beet mixture into the mixing bowl, and fold into the batter with a rubber spatula. Repeat this process for the remainder of the flour and half & half, being careful not to over mix.
- Pour the batter in muffin liners, filling them 2/3 of the way full.
- Place the muffin tray on the center rack of the preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until cupcakes test clean when poked with a toothpick.
- Allow cupcakes to cool for at least 30 minutes before frosting them.
- Beat together cream cheese, butter, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla in a mixing bowl with a hand mixer until fluffy.
What you’ll Need
Vanilla Beet Cupcakes:
1 cup half & half or whole milk
1/3 cup Love Beets Organic Cooked Beets, chopped
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Beet Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
4 tablespoons butter, softened
2 tablespoons Love Beets organic beet juice
1 to 3 drops pink food coloring, optional
1 tablespoon lemon zest
5 cups powdered sugar