What to do
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add the chopped potatoes. Cook at a controlled boil for 15 to 20 minutes, until potatoes are soft when poked with a fork.
- Strain potatoes and place them in a blender along with the almond milk. Blend until smooth and add sea salt to taste.
- Set mashed potatoes aside for later.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over a medium flame. Add the onion, carrots, and celery, and cook until the vegetables are al dente (about 8 minutes).
- Add the dry lentils, curry powder, and garlic and sautée 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and bring mixture to a full boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until lentils are cooked through; about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Add the chopped beets to the skillet with the lentils and stir to incorporate for about 2 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Pour the lentil and beet mixture into a 1.5 quart casserole dish.
- Spread the mashed potatoes evenly on top of the vegetables and place the casserole dish on a baking sheet.
- Bake on the center rack for 30 to 35 minutes, until the shepherd’s pie is bubbly and the potatoes are starting to get brown and crispy.
- Allow the pie to cool for 15 minutes before serving with your favorite Irish soda bread or rustic bread of choice.
What you’ll Need
3 medium Yukon gold potatoes, quartered and boiled
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk or buttermilk
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 6.5 ounce package Love Beets White Wine & Balsamic baby beets, halved
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
2 stalks of celery hearts, chopped
1/2 cup dry lentils
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons yellow curry powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth