What to do
Prepare the Beet Marinara Sauce:
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté, stirring frequently, until translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté another two minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the basil and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in the chopped basil and remove sauce from heat.
Prepare the Zucchini Noodles:
- Rinse the zucchini squash in cold water and chop off the tips and tails. Using a spiralizer (either hand-held or free-standing), spiralize the zucchini squash into noodles.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat in a large saucepan.
- Add the zucchini noodles and sauté, stirring occasionally, until noodles are hot and reach desired “done-ness,” which usually takes about 3-5 minutes.
- Serve zucchini noodles with beet marinara sauce, freshly chopped basil, and grated parmesan cheese.
Note: If desired, the zucchini noodles can be left raw.
What you’ll Need
Beet Marinara Sauce:
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 large yellow onion, finely chopped
4 large cloves of garlic, minced
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 8.8-ounce package Love Beets Organic Cooked Beets, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt or to taste
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 large zucchini squash
A pinch of salt and black pepper to taste